TSL was looking for UX Architect to help them optimise Otomo, a unique Creative Management platform with automated adaptation. Allowing users to edit and localise their creatives quickly. For this project, I conducted both the research and design.
Responsibilities for the role included working with the project manager and the development team to understand what engineering issues may influence the overall UX. I closely co-operated with the product owner / technical lead to turn existing ideas into meaningful prototypes.
First, I wrote a Heuristic Evaluation review of the system, to quickly gain an understanding of its complexity, the user interactions and the possible solutions. This expert review could later be used to triangulate usability testing results.
Following the Review, I created activity flowcharts and a Hierarchical Task Analysis (HTA) to chart the complexity of the system relative to users' task performed to achieve their goals. These early research deliverables lead both the team towards an insightful overview of their system’s complexity and me to a grounded understanding.
I designed a 'collaborative design workshop' to gather requirements, following KJ Technique. This way everyone had a say in the room. Together we grouped user problems and prioritised interactions using ‘jobs to be done’ framework.
The twist in the process was my decision compliment ‘jobs to be done’ with personas and their user journey to promote empathy and clear the boundaries between company roles. Contrary practice for some, but complementary to others, as documented in‘Personas vs Jobs-to-Be-Done’ by Norman and Nielsen Group and Alan Cooper’s Journal ‘Bringing Together Personas, Jobs To Be Done, and Customer Journey Maps’.
In the sessions followed the users optimised the HTA map, refined personas, created scenarios based on ‘Jobs to be done’ and collaboratively designed the user journey map for each persona. The final User Experience map included touch-points where personas interacted to achieve a common goal. I aimed to distribute personas and user journey to create a shared sense of culture and understanding. Finally, I used Sketch, InVision and Adobe XD to design the first MVP.
HTA and Heuristic Evaluation gave an overview of the system complexity and ignited discussion, while collaborative design workshops explored solutions, bringing a positive attitude and consensus. The wireframes delivered aimed to test the concept for ease of use. Below I am sharing how I met the project objectives:
Last, I helped the project manager to produce a plan for the next steps involving user testing and design iterations. The project was placed on halt. However, it is expected kickstart sometime in the New Year.